IVF Test | Emma's Diary India

How to begin IVF


Specialist fertility tests and what happens next

If you have been trying for a baby for a year or more without success you should talk to your doctor.

If you are 36 years of age or older, or have reason to be concerned about your fertility; such as having had treatment for cancer or having a gynaecological condition - which affects fertility such as endometriosis or pelvic inflammatory disease - you should seek help from your doctor sooner than this. If appropriate, your partner should go too

Your doctor will look into your medical history and will need details of your sex life and information about your lifestyle. Your doctor may then give you a physical examination

If you’re found to have a fertility problem you will be referred directly to a fertility specialist.

Seeing a fertility specialist

You should see fertility specialist at a fertility clinic run by a specialist fertility team who will carry out further tests.

Tests for women may include:

  • Blood tests to check if ovulation is occurring
  • Ultrasound scans of the pelvic organs including the uterus, fallopian tubes and ovaries
  • Chlamydia test – a common sexually transmitted infection
  • Laparoscopy to check the health of the pelvic organs and to make sure the fallopian tubes are not blocked

Tests for men may include:

  • Semen analysis to check the number and health of the sperm
  • Chlamydia test

The assisted conception unit

Once you have been accepted for treatment you will be sent to the assisted conception unit where further tests and procedures will be carried out.

These tests include:

  • Blood tests for HIV, hepatitis B and C and Rubella (German Measles)
  • Cervical screening test (if yours is not up to date)
  • Screening blood tests for sickle cell and thalassaemia if appropriate

A blood test or vaginal ultrasound will be used to assess the amount of eggs in your body and their quality to estimate how your ovaries will respond to IVF treatment.

What happens next

When all the tests and procedures have been completed your fertility specialist will discuss your treatment plan with you in detail. You will need to sign forms that consent to the use and/or storage of your eggs or embryos and sperm.

Getting help and support

You will be given the opportunity to talk to a counsellor who can help you understand exactly what the treatment will involve and how it may affect you and those close to you.  You can find out more about counselling and its benefits on hfea.gov.uk.

You may find it helpful to join a support group such as Infertility Network UK; the UK's leading infertility charity, which provides information and advice to people struggling to conceive and runs support groups across the UK.

Sign up Today Watch Now